The Future of Our Community
While the ACT Now program is HPUD’s response to a federal and state enforced consent order, this major initiative will benefit our communities by improving and preserving our water resources for future generations. This project is designed to make our communities cleaner, healthier, and more environmentally sustainable.
Environmental and Public Health Benefits:
- Reduces sanitary sewer overflows (SSOs);
- Reduces sewer backups into basements caused by HPUD’s public sewer system;
- Reduces sewage debris and sewage odors in local waterways;
- Decreases human exposure to pathogens and pollutants.
Economic and Social Benefits:
- Increases property values in areas that previously experienced chronic overflows resulting in odors and sewer debris;
- Encourages more recreational use of waterways;
- Enhances natural habitats for people, plants and animals;
- Improves aesthetic appeal of creeks and streams;